Register now for your free home safety visit, performed by the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Squad!
EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW . . . .
1. Maryland’s new smoke alarm law requires the replacement of all BATTERY-ONLY operated smoke alarms with units powered by sealed-in, 10-year long-life batteries.
2. All smoke alarms have expiration dates. Both hardwired and battery-operated smoke alarms need to be replaced every ten years. If your smoke alarm has not been replaced since 2006, it’s time!
3. Location, location, location – smoke alarms are required to be located outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home including basements (finished or unfinished).
4. For homes constructed since 1994, smoke alarms have been required inside all sleeping rooms. For maximum protection, fire officials recommend installing smoke alarms in sleeping rooms regardless of the year of construction.
5. Homeowners have until January 1, 2018 to comply with the new law. Any resident requiring information or assistance can call 3-1-1.
For more information visit: www.mcfrs.org/mcsafe
It’s the law!